Dr. Gary Stoner grew up in Manhattan where his father owned a service station; and he graduated from Montana High School in 1960. He then attended Montana State University where he received his Bachelor of Science Degree in 1964, and went on to receive his Ph.D. in Microbiology from the University of Michigan in 1970.
Dr. Gary Stoner has had a very active academic career in research, teaching and administration, mostly at Ohio State University.
During the early stage of his career he focused on LUNG CANCER and the mechanisms by which chemical carcinogens in tobacco cause lung cancer. Some of this work supported the Surgeon General’s decision to recommend AGAINST smoking in public places.
The latter part of Dr. Gary Stoner’s career was focused on the identification of chemicals in cruciferous vegetables and berries that prevent cancer. This work accumulated in the development of a “food-based” approach to cancer prevention using freeze-dried BLACK RASPBERRIES formulated in different ways.
Introduction to Gary Stoner
Start discussion on immunotherapy
- Inflammatory Responses
Inflammation both acute and chronic
- How does it manifest itself in the body/mind/emotions
Inflammation can lead to cancer
- Proliferate cancer cells
- White Blood Cells
Inflammation stimulates cancer cell growth
Late 1800’s in NY – hospital – Dr. Cooler
- Would inject streptococcus bacteria straight into the tumor
- He didn’t document everything well according to colleagues
- After his death, his daughter discovered boxes of reports about every patient – she published them
- 12%-15% of patients survived
Early 20th Century – scientists tried that with viruses
Gary explained research with viruses in vitro
Immunotherapy – using antibodies or using white blood cells
Basics of Immunotherapy
- Antibody is y-shaped (can also bind to proteins – compliment proteins)
- FC-Fragment binds to lymphocytes
Text about x-rays and cancer
- Gary doesn’t know enough of the data
Text about resetting immune system by 72 fasting
- discussion about bacteria + gut health
- some gut bacteria are pro-inflammatory
Why are we often worried about lymph glands?
Top 3 Cancers
- Most Devastating: Lung Cancer
- Most Prevalent: Skin Cancer/ Melanoma
- Women: Lung, Breast
- Men: Lung, Prostate, Colon
- Stomach Cancer: Heliobacteri Phylorn
- affecting epithelium layer in stomach causing cancer
- 30%-40% of Americans
- 50% rest of world
Recap and Reintroductions
Gary talks about immunotherapy
at first for leukemia’s and lymphoma’s
Cell-Medicated Killing: Dendritic Cell Therapy
Gary Explains Research on T-Lymphocytes
Kristin Campbell’s therapy for MS in Israel
Why don’t we do that in cancer therapy
Gary explains that we are changing out dietary approach in research today
Who performs CAR-T-cell therapy and how it works.
- Still very much in its infancy
- Dendritic also – just like CAR-T: much promising research. But not FDA approved yet.